Learn How to Keep Your Queen (& Hive) Alive!
One reason to inspect your hive every two weeks is to make sure you see eggs/larvae so you know you have a healthy queen. The worker bees live for 5 weeks, so need to be constantly replaced for the hive to stay alive. A thriving hive depends on a healthy, laying queen.
In this class we'll cover:
- how to tell you have a healthy queen
- how to look for signs she could be failing
- what to do if you see very little brood and/or queen cells
- queen math - how to estimate when your queen died, when your new queen is mating & will lay, and how not to worry (at least for 5-6 weeks)
- how to combine hives so the right queen lives
- how to buy and insert a mated queen
This class is aimed at Urban Backyard Beekeepers in the San Francisco Bay Area climate.