Learn the tips and tricks of the honey extraction process.
This online class includes videos of the honey extraction process so you know how to do it at home. You'll learn:
- 3 ways to remove honey from the hive
- How to expel the honey by uncapping the frames and hand spinning them in an extractor
- What times of year to harvest honey
- How to filter the beeswax
- What to do with your frames afterwards
In the San Francisco Bay Area, there is an uneven supply of food in August & September, and your bees can eat some of their honey during times of food shortage in the environment. You want to wait till the end of September or October to harvest extra honey in the hive as part of shrinking down the hive for winter.